Friday, September 9, 2011

Nine Eleven

It was my first year in high school, and I was in Coach Bray's 2nd period health class when the buzz started. I listened to the teachers and administrators talk about these mysterious planes, but no one seemed to know any real details. I walked into my 3rd period French class, and the television was on the news, so I knew something big was going on. We watched the first plane crash into the tower and listened as they reported about terrorist attacks in our country. By the end of that class, WMHS was dismissed due to bomb threats on the school. Everyone was in a panic. I gathered my things and bolted out to the back parking lot. I called my mom and a bunch of my friends and moms went to lunch. At this point, no one really knew what had happened or what was to come...
I had only been to NYC once, and it was March 2001. I couldn't believe we had just been there and shopped and dined in the WTC. I couldn't believe terrorist were attacking us.

The rest of that day, I spent glued to the TV learning about the other crashes at the Pentagon and in the field in Pennsylvania.
I can't believe it has been 10 years since this happened. Since the attacks, I have visited NYC 3 times. Matt and I saw ground zero and toured the museum for the victims of 9.11, and it seemed so surreal.


These pictures were taken when we were there in 2008. I know a lot more progress has been made since then, and we plan to visit the new Freedom Towers when they are complete! 
Thousands of lives were taken that day, the whole country was affected, and so many heroes were made. We are so lucky to live in a place where, when tragedy strikes, differences are put aside and we are able to come together as a country and fight back. 
Thank you to all the firefighters, medics, and servicemen and women who work to protect our country every day. You are appreciated so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment